Since today is December 1st, I am leading off this post with our first ornament on the tree – the first one I made over two weeks ago. It is perfect in its spot at the top of the tree, right by the Christmas star.
First of all, I had two 1 yard pieces of felt, one in dark green and the other in hunter green. I placed and cut out the pieces with a pair of smaller fiskars – one of my daughter’s school scissors was perfect for that!
All cut out!! I think it looks pretty – but I may be biased! Yes, it’s still a triangle, but I think the bounces help break it up a bit.
I decided to sew the pieces together with a simple running stitch. Worked out quite well!!
I added a Christmas star, the pattern for which can be found here: Printable Star Pattern and for a while I decided that it was done.
But after sitting and contemplating it for a while. I decided that it needed some further decorations, so I added some of the craft ribbons I found at Target in the dollar section. I adhered the ribbon on with craft glue dots. The white dots you can see all over are velcro dots – their mates are now stuck to the back on the ornaments.
Here it is, mostly complete. I am still working on the ornaments as we speak. I have a Peppa Pig ornament and a Sheep ornament in the works, and I hope to have them completed by tomorrow afternoon. I also raised the Advent tree up about 1/2 a metre, as my youngest two were overly obsessed with pulling things off. Which is not too much of a worry, but it would be nice if they don’t destroy it within hours of it being put up 😉
Here is my second offering of handmade felt ornaments! Out of this batch, I am most proud of my Elf on the Shelf!
First up however, we have a Hello Kitty for my middle daughter – Leia. I chose this one because her initials are L.O.V.E and she is a Hello Kitty fanatic 🙂 I got the image here: Hello Kitty Coloring Pages and simply resized them within a word document so that I would have enough copies of the image to make the pieces I needed. I know Hello Kitty’s bow is usually red, but since Leia loves the color green, I chose to further make this hers by making it green.
This is my favourite! It is far from perfect, but I am so very pleased with it! I found it hard to find decent looking clip art online, so when I was in Joanns the other day, I grabbed a small candy container, scanned it into my computer and made my own template from that. Once again I used a word document to size the pictures the way I wanted, and then cut out the appropriate pieces. No, does it look like a perfect representation of an elf on the shelf? No… it’s eyes are too close for one thing, but my girls think that it looks like our Judy Elf, which is all that I was aiming for!!
I love Matryoshka Dolls. I decided that our advent tree needed one. It turned out so well and I got to learn how to do chain stitch to make it! You can too… I learnt it on this youtube video: Chain Stitch. I got the pattern for this doll here: Matryoshka Doll Ornament. It was fun to make and very striking! Definately in my top 10 favourites 🙂
The last two are two traditional(ish) Christmas tree ornaments. Like the patterns creator I decided to keep things simple with them, and I think they are lovely and festive! I got the pattern for them here: Vintage Felt Baubles found at Bugs and Fishes. I am loving a lot of her patterns – so go and show her some love!
If you are curious about my first set of ornaments, you can find it here: Felt Christmas Ornaments
I searched the mighty internets searching for a pattern to make a tree for our Advent tree. Eventually, not happy with just a plain triangle and not liking some of the others that I had seen, I decided to make my own. I started off with three peices of parchment paper taped to each other and my kitchen table.
After measuring the wall, I decided to make the tree 36 inches wide and 40 inches tall, not including the star at the top or the trunk at the bottom.
Since my wooden ruler only measured 36 inches, I used a piece of red yarn to help make sure I would keep the line straight when I moved the ruler. It worked out very well!!
There you have it! A (mostly) equal triangle, that has also been sectioned every 10 inches (hence the decision to make it 40 inches tall) – leaving four 10 inch sections.
Knowing that when I cut out the pieces of the tree they would not have any over lap, and wanting the tree to have a bit of bounce and not be just a triangle on the wall, I decided to make bounces to go on the bottom. The bottom level (not shown), I added it at the bottom of the pattern. The bounces there were each four inches long. These were drawn free hand, so they aren’t even, but I wasn’t looking for perfection.
Each other bounce set is as follows:
- 27 inches long, by 1 inch wide and the bounces were 3 inches each
- 18 inches long, by 1 inch wide and the bounces were 2 inches each
- 9 1/4 inches long, by 1 inch wide and the bounces were 1 inch each
The pattern is all complete once the bounces have been taped to the bottom of the pattern pieces!
Coming up next: Cutting out the pattern pieces and sewing it all together.