I finished the back and both the front panels this weekend and I am loving the way it is turning out! Since I am using a much smaller crochet hook, mine is starting to look a little different that the original post located here: Toddler Rainbow Sweater. I had to make some adjustments for the length as G1 is starting to get long, even through she’s still smaller than your average 2 year old.
Before I go on, I much apologize for the color state of the images – it was getting on to evening and sometimes my house really blows when it comes to lighting. I’ve done the best I could, with what I had and with the help of picmonkey.
The biggest issue I had, and again, it’s not a fault with the pattern, it was all me, was forgetting 4 lines in the front left panel and spending about and hour wondering about it. Once I figured out my problem, I briefly flirted with the idea of pulling it all out again and decided not to. I simply wrote out what I was doing as I did it, so I could mirror the pattern. I don’t think I did too badly really! Thanks to N1 and DH for holding down the rolling corners for me.
See… they are close(ish) to matching. I feel proud anyways because, well, this is my first sweater and I think it’s beautiful. I started working on the sleeves last night, and I am hoping to get them done so that I can take full sunlight, non-fuzzy pictures for you tomorrow 🙂
If you are curious about the first post regarding this sweater, you can find it here: Rainbow Toddler Sweater – Piece By Piece
I am considering making a quick video on how I joined the different colors and stopped having to weave in the start and finishing threads. I get bored with that real quick.
In a nutshell: In the last Sc, as directed, I join the next color with a slip stitch. Then I do the chain 1. Then I grab both ends of the thread I am using, bring them both up to the top of the crochet. I then take the hook, go over the top of them, under and through the last sc of the previous line, yarn over, pull through and complete the first sc for this new line with the new color. I repeat this about 8 times and then push the remaining threads towards the wrong side of the crochet and continue on along the line. It ends up looking like the picture above. Was that clear? Maybe I will make a short video that shows it better – I am a better visual learner and maybe you are too!
It hasn’t been often recently that I have had enough time to sit down and crochet something. I enjoy it a lot, so I took advantage of S1 breaking his computer and hijacking mine to do a bit of crochet. I had this lovely, soft yarn that I picked up at a garage sale, and I decided that it was the best choice for this little dress.
I managed to get 99.9% of the dress made out of one skein of yarn… however, I ran short by three shells on the finishing row *sadface*
But since it’s the back I don’t think that anyone will really notice.
This little dress crocheted up really quickly, making the shells got a little tedious, but when it was done, it was well worth the 2DCCH2DC shells for so many rows 😉 I believe this dress/tunic will look fantastic this winter with a white or maybe blue turtleneck underneath it and a cute pair of leggings or jeans. I know G1 loved this and got quite upset with me when I tried to take it off to get the pictures of the dress on the hanger! 🙂
I used this pattern: Angel Wings Pinafore